Monday 13 July 2015

Day 1: Stepping into Micromart Durian

So begins my first day of understanding how a Micromart works. Given that my only prior work experience involved national service and social sectors, this was quite the refreshing experience. It kind of ticked off that childlike desire I used to have of running my own "mama shop".
So with the understanding that I was completely an empty vessel - I decided to learn everything from the ground up. So naturally, it starts with how to be a cashier. Operating a cash register, checking and arranging stock, receiving stock and sending out receipts to HQ. It may seem mundane, but that is the bread and butter (which was surprisingly refreshing). It absolutely amazed me the meticulousness involved in actually running the store. They accounted for everything and ensured that everything looked right. I realized that when you walk into a store - its pristine state has people like the kasirs I met behind it.
I must say that I am very familiar with convenience stores. My experiences with stores are vast and well travelled - to satiate my desire for sugary drinks which I absolutely adore. This gave me quite a perspective when I stepped into Micromart Durian - because I was frankly underwhelmed: I realized how unfamiliar I am with the brand. I decided to bear that in mind when I was to provide my thoughts on MM. 7-eleven, Lawson, Tesco Express - I know what to expect each time I walk in, and without looking at the brand name I know which store I am in with the environment at atmosphere. So that was the question I left with on my first day - What identifies with Micromart? Why would I prefer walking into Micromart compared to say, Alfamart or Indomarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment