Monday 13 July 2015

Day 11: HIPMI x MICROMART Collaboration


Today was the launch of a joint cooperation between HIPMI and Micromart. It was a lively event, and everyone was talking with everyone - with the brightest of smiles. I suppose that even networking does not necessarily have to be very focused or impersonal. They seemed genuine and looking towards a brighter future ahead. Come to think of it, I suppose this means that Cik Farid himself is being recognized for his ability and efforts in bringing up the name of Micromart into the public sector. To have HIPMI acknowledging Micromart kind of shows that MM certainly has made progress.

Earlier in the day though, Cik Farid asked me the same question yet again - what my perception of him. I suppose that really is a difficult question as it has only been a week. The only time a person really ever knows what I think of the person is when I myself have affirmed my own views to be true after getting to know a person. You add that to my tendency to see the good in people rather than find points to criticize, you can imagine how diplomatic I tend to be on such matters.

That said, I have been around him quite a fair bit over the past few days. Of his two aspects, I would say the one's that I can say very easily would be his leadership capacity and his sincerity. He is very clear with the direction he wants to go to, and inspires his staff to follow suit. He is honest, but not flattering. Capable of making decisions and taking action that is required of him - and not taking the easy way out by being soft. However, despite being firm and fair to his staff, he is also kind. He smiles and jokes with them not as a boss, but as a person and his staff are visibly comfortable around him. Even with those outside of his company, he approaches them with the same level of sincerity that he shows to others.

He is also a very "hungry" person. He knows success is no formula, but there are definitely key ingredients - one of it being hunger. He does not subscribe to defeatist mentalities, nor sees any task as too daunting. What he wants to achieve he will strive to achieve, but he won't do it alone. He is capable of humbling himself even at his position to learn from others, and depend on other capable people.

I wanted to know if I was at least right on this matter, but having the intern ask around about the boss so bluntly is clearly the way to not get honest answers. However the answer came to me without me even asking. I was talking to the kind man who helps keep our office neat and tidy - and telling him about how Singaporeans usually tend to be workaholics, like Pak Farid. He smiled and agreed, and then he actually turned around and told me:

"Tapi Pak Farid 'best boss'! Gembira saya dgn dier. Dier orangnya baik, hatinya mulia. Kpd semura orang dia pun hatinya baik. Penuh kasih sayang."

In my best attempt at translation, "Mr Farid is the best boss! and I am happy to be with him. He is a good person with a pure heart. Even to anyone, he has a good heart, full of compassion."

Everyone was tired, it was getting late, but after saying that he showed me a smile and a vigorous thumbs up that it was a real pity that only I got to see it. Cik Farid was only a few paces ahead, giving advice to a young person who probably wanted to learn from him too - giving his usual beam of happiness and encouragement. If he saw that thumbs up, I'm sure he could have been motivated to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment