Monday 13 July 2015

Day 5: "Boss dah Datang"

Today I reported to the office and met with my boss, Cik Farid. He began conducting his meetings with his staff and getting up to date with the happenings over the month. Surprisingly, his sessions were relatively short - a refreshing change from the nature of staff meetings that I have been attending. Objectives were clear, and straight to the point. With new staff, he did not spend too much time discussing irrelevant courtesies nor did he just give them a new project to take up and put them in a "swim or drown" situation that I was aware some bosses liked to do to evaluate the capacities of newer staff. I believed this was efficient. Efficient is good. There was no "Alamak boss nak ape skrg" attitude which I have seen in other places. New staff also can comfortably begin adapting to a new work environment.

He then explained to me some essentials of running a business - like maintaining cashflow and the three stages of execution: 1) Objective 2) People 3) Operation. The first two I managed to see from both his meetings and the kind of people he employed. However the 3rd I got a chance to see with Cik Farid coming down on site. He was visibly annoyed with a discrepancy between an inventory order and what was actually already available. Understandably, the problem as told by him was a lack of effort in checking the warehouse - which could have cost quite a considerable amount in terms of redundant indents.
Actually, my initial impression was that a call to the warehouse or an email could have resolved the matter without needing to leave the office. However I actually learnt something from doing it the hard way. It sends a stronger message and gives you greater credibility in highlighting the problem that exists. There's no way anybody can try to pull a fast one when you're there on site - and it also sets an example on doing that little bit of extra to ensure that work gets done in the best way possible. Follow up and follow through can apply even when it is just a process of finding the necessary inventory required to set up a new MM.
Admittedly I was rather fearful of what would happen to the poor staff who would be on the receiving end of his... discovery. However it was kept very professional, and the worker did not look discouraged. Acknowledging her mistake, she took responsibility for it and would then follow up with it. In some office environments there can be some stale air following being told off - or an overtly defensive employee. However there was none of that in MM's work environment. This was also the same in the office where there was no clear hierarchical relationship between staff. While the departments were sectioned, it was a good office environment where the positive energy and dynamics could be felt. They looked happy with the work they were doing, and supporting each other in their own little way.
My biggest lesson after that came following the end of the day where Cik Farid asked me several questions about what I thought of himself or people. Initially I was uncomfortable airing honest views as I may not necessarily have the right impression and experiences in life shape me differently. I also tend to be more forgiving than I should be. However it brought him to tell me about "Character Analysis". It does not necessarily have to be judgment on the person - but it makes a difference in how you can adapt or react to people and situations. I should always be trying to analyse people he says. I'll bear that in mind, but what do I do if I possess a wrong impression I wonder? Would that not open up problems?





No comments:

Post a Comment